Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Update 29 + Inspiration 2

I seem to be locked into a groundhog day - the fabulous movie where every day Bill Murray wakes up and hears the DJ say, "it's cold out there" - except for me "it's raining out there". I get up, light the fire, shave, have breakfast while watching Sky UK news, put on the wet weather gear and go out to feed the animals. I noticed on the news last night (yes the boycott ended with the arrival of Sky TV) there were over 200 slips in Auckland because of the rain - they've had half a metre of rain in the last three months! Woh - that's a lot of H2woe. Doesn't have the same ring though really - 2 hundred slips in Auckland New Zealand as apposed to 4 thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire. That's why Lennon was a genius I guess. On rain - apparently with global warming it means that we can expect a lot more rain now. I know you UK lot have had plenty and we've had three months of non-stop rain (some sunny patches but it's rained at some time every day). Looks like Ridley Scott had it spot on in the futuristic landscape of 'Bladerunner' with the perpetual rain, not to mention that biblical guy who got into a spot of shipbuilding.

We had two more lambs born yesterday in the teeth of a gail. Both black faces and well cute. The hugeist ewe that we thought must have triplets also gave birth - to one very large lamb. That brought the total to eight with more to come.

The mountain scenes are from last week - a heavy dumping of snow. And the buds of a week ago on the Rhodedendrum have begun to sprout but I notice the ones in New Plymouth and Waitara (on the coast as apposed to us higher ups) are well blooming.



Samantha returned home for a week so we're listening to a lot of reggae at the moment! Jacky, Samantha and I went up the mountain for a look at the snow and so we have some new pictures - Jade was sick so stayed in bed. As per time honoured tradition Samantha and I ganged up on Jacky with snow balls and then, again as per tradition, Jacky got us back by dislodging a three metre long piece of ice/snow and throwing it from a foot away at my head. All good fun!!

The olympics have finished and withdrawal now sets in. I read a letter in the Guardian about someone who refused to watch any of the sport because of the Chinese human rights record. Am I missing something here? What does marvelling at Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Valerie Villi, Chris Foy, the twins et al have to do with China's human rights record? I no way condone sending a guy to a labour camp without trial for a year for protesting about shoddy school buildings during the earthquake but how does not watching the olympics help him? Doesn't it actually draw attention to it and help prevent other such craziness? The letter writer deprived herself of some amazing human feats (stronger, higher etc) and probably wasn't an avid sports watcher anyway, otherwise how could you not watch? I can't help getting emotionally involved in the event. When I see our sports people getting gold and hearing our national anthem I get misty eyed ( Like Groucho - I'm a sentimental old fluff).

I also thought it was fantastic that: 1 Team Great Britain did so well - their best games for 100 years; 2 the USA didn't win everything as usual; and 3 we had our best games for a while. Everyone's a winner baby (except for the Cuban dolt who kicked a Tae Kwon Do ref). As for the closing ceremony (yes I watched that too) Jimmy Page and the bus were triffic but the spray painting and umbrellas weren't. Why o why reduce Brits and London to a stereotype of frumpy guys reading newspapers and carrying umbrellas. Not necessary. Stick with the decent version of 'Whole Lotta Love' I say. Either that or hire the Chinese to do the ceremonies and build the venues. I saw a news report on East London's Stratford Olympic preparations and a sinking feeling came over me - not a lot done and only four years to go! How long did Wembley take? Decades? Seemed like it. Oh well.

Currently grooving to...the reggae as I mentioned but in the car I have an old prog rock compilation from Classic Rock magazine ( favs Wolverine and Frost), the second Evanescence album and the Lost Prophets all on high rotate.

Inspiration number 2 - Graham Nugent Purdy and Dulcie Mary Purdy - my mum and dad! My brother Ross and I were/are very lucky. We grew up in a stable, loving, supportive, fun, disciplined family environment that gave us love, values, attitudes, support beyond question, happiness, fairness and backbone. Yes I know everyone says their mum/dad are the best but for us it's not a platitude or a cliche. It's the truth!

Unfortunately not all of you have met my mum and dad, and only Ross and I know what it was to live at 18 Korma Rd., then 4 Ramelton Rd. with them. Because of the way families were in the 60's we had the most contact with mum because as dad worked in Otahuhu he both left early and arrived late. It was mostly the little care network of mum and her mum that we saw more of/spent more time with. I have very vivid memories of growing up and they are mostly sunny, warm and satisfied. Dad (Graham) is now living in Orewa and as you all know celebrated his 80th birthday on the 26th July. Doubly and tragically unfortunate is that less of you knew my mother (Dulcie). She died in 1983 and so none of my children knew her. Apart from Jacky, I think only Greg and Mike will have clear memories of her. I'm sure Greg will remember the camel-dung-cookies that I had to share with my University friends!

So why inspiration? Well they were together until mum died and they loved each other (and that was obvious) and they were such different people with such different interests but it worked. This inspires me right there and I know I'm lucky. All around me I see students struggling to cope with horrendous family issues (sometimes amazingly no one wants the child) and Ross and I were safe from all that. So this is a tribute to our mum and dad. God bless them! And thanks.

Love and peace - W

No comments: