Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Of the eagle's plight, we know that nature's balance is undone (Beach Boys)


Wie geht's?

A well reasoned, articulate post on Brexit that doesn't bore the pants off you all is still brewing in my bonce. It's a WIP (like Brexit itself).

In the meantime, I've been feasting on Where Eagles Dare - yes, the Richard Burton/Clint Eastwood movie from the late sixties.


Geoff Dyer's book (Broadsword Calling Danny Boy) was the catalyst to return to this totem from my youth.

I found the film at HMV: a two for ten pounds deal (my other choice being Kelly's Heroes - another film from my pre-teenage years - which, incidentally, didn't retain the glow of nostalgia as well as WED).

The book is a treat and the film was as I remembered it (except for the scenes where Eastwood takes on the whole German army in the castle's corridors and emerges without a scratch seemed longer in my memory).

Clearly that bit and other scenes in this capture and escape caper influenced George Lucas and Star Wars (Eastwood = Han Solo in the Death Star).

Except for everyone speaking English (a glaring feature this time out), it's all great fun.

Love and peace - WNP

No comments: