Sunday, November 13, 2022

Wozza's web.



Wie geht's?

When Jade was very young - for a couple of years around 3 to 5 years old, she loved to watch Dumbo, the movie, over and over again. She must have watched it about 200 times I reckon.

She never got tired of it. Every time she watched it she would cry at the same scene - with the mother in a cage arching her trunk out to comfort little Dumbo, who was outside that cage.

Next time she had a chance to watch TV, she'd ask for Dumbo again. As I say, this went on for a few years. Same deal - Dumbo, same crying, same request to watch it again.

This gave rise to the idea of Dumbo movies, books, songs - whatever.  Things that could be watched over and over again with no loss of enjoyment.

Hold that thought.

For a while there, a couple of my mates and I were making Spotify playlists for fun. They're based around some themes, such as songs with a place name in the title, or a person's name, or with body parts in the title (a Kevy suggestion that one), or songs of the year - that sort of thing.

It was fun, but we've gone into a lengthy on-going hiatus (I know that's an oxymoron but it's accurate). Probably through exhaustion! The lists were big motor truckers. Over 200 songs for most of them.

Still, I loved making Spotify playlists.

So, I decided to make my own while on this hiatus. So far I've finished one and the other is a work in progress.

This's where the Dumbo idea comes in.

Wozza's Wonders assembles all the Dumbo songs that roll around in my brain. Again - there are over 200 of them. I feels good having them in one place.

The work in progress is called Wozza's Women - where I'm compiling a playlist of my favourite songs featuring a female vocalist. 

And yes - I like alliteration, okay. A few more potential options are: Wozza's Wailings (heavy songs); Wozza's Waves (summer/beach songs); Wozza's Weaknesses (guilty pleasures); Wozza's Weather (songs about the weather obvs); Wozza's Wildlife (animals); Wozza's Whines (moany ones); Wozza's Winners; Wozza's Wise Wons; Wozza's Wordy Wons; Wozza's Workout; Wozza's Withdrawals (drug songs) and Wozza's Winkers (misprint). There's probably a few more I haven't thought about. So the lists could be going for a while yet.

But I digress.




For Wozza's Women, I thought it would be easy to put a song a year since 1957 on the playlist but it quickly became impossible to choose just one representative so I added the parenthetical bit (At least) to 'one song for ever year...'

I'm up to 1974 so I have a fair way to go. But even in those years from 1957 to 1973 I've rediscovered a huge number of brilliant female vocalists. You're welcome to join the journey.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: