Thursday, August 19, 2010

Some guys they just give up living, and start dying little by little, piece by piece (Bruce Springsteen)

Jacky is working nights at the moment which means I can catch up on some of the music videos I've horded for when Jacky is at work (and Woody Allen movies which she hates). Bruce Springsteen's Live in Hyde Park London DVD was first up yesterday. I cranked up the stereo and the Clash's London Calling blasted forth from the DVD.

Woagh!! What a sound. Brucie baby has lost nothing in terms of passion and commitment over the years. I love his 1975 UK live set and the E Street Band has grown in numbers and stature since those days (although poor old Clarence Clemons looked in bad shape over his 1975 model - back pains and surgeries have obviously taken their toll). Stand out track for me was Racing In the Street. It's long been a favourite but the grizzled 2009 Boss injects the words with new subtleties of meaning. What extraordinary words for a young guy to write.

I realised, listening to it about 30 years after I first heard it, that I don't want to be one of those guys who gives up living, who comes home/washes up/and goes racing in the street. I'm going to continue to fight that 'dying little by little' impulse that, I suspect, resides in all of us.

Tonight's visit is to Oasis land.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: