Friday, June 28, 2013

The blind man sleeps in the doorway - his home (Mumford & Sons)

Thought I'd analyse my (lack of) hipness in this post.

I've been really fortunate to share some time with a student teacher at school over the last 5 weeks (let's hear it for Toni!). She's been taking my nifty year nines - a stellar bunch of 13 year old girls. Toni finished on Friday but I learnt a lot from her. More than she knows.

It came as a bit of a shock to discover that I no longer have my finger on the pulse of pulp culture.

I'm deficient in hipness.

I blame my daughters for this! It's been a slow decline but since they left home my hipness quotient has seen a corresponding decline. Jade I need some help here!

Case in point - my form class (Year 12 hip girls) had to run the chapel service on Friday and they chose a Mumford & Sons song (I will wait) for the school to sing, and it was gorgeous and delirious and absolutely spot on.

And I hadn't heard it before.

Samantha bought the first Mumford & Sons CD, Sigh For Me, for me a few years ago and I liked it but then their follow up, Babel, came along recently and it passed me by...until Friday...thanks to my Year 12 hipsters.

Other case in point - Toni is Jade's age and knows all the songs the students know, and she knows all the movies the students know, and she knows, like the students do, who's hot at the moment.

I remember designing a culture quiz some years ago that listed all of the things our students were tuned into. I gave it to staff who generally had no clue; the point being we need to keep current. But I've recently realised that I could no longer design this quiz.

I've lost touch and I'm kinda concerned about this (SWMBO and Jade think I'm more than kinda concerned but I'm really not).

The sad fact is - I am aging but the students never do! They are always 13.

So I'm kinda thinking - don't sweat the small stuff Wozza. I don't need, or want, to keep up with the Kardashians.

But still...

Love and peace and smiley faces and thanks Toni - Wozza.


No comments: