Saturday, December 26, 2015

You're the skin I never want to shed (Train)

In praise of Bed and Breakfasts.


I love staying at B and B's in England, Wales and Scotland (haven't tried one in Ireland yet because I haven't been there but I'm sure I'd love them too).

SWMBO and I much prefer the B and B experience to staying in motels/hotels.

The buildings that house them are quirky and the people who run them are quirky and the people who stay in them are quirky because they prefer to experience quirky.

In my experience no two B and Bs are the same. The breakfasts, the decor, the people and the rooms - different every time. And that's all part of the appeal and the charm.

John Cleese obviously stayed in a few and studied them thoroughly. Fawlty Towers is a genius creation that taps into all that quirkiness I mentioned. We've experienced small degrees of Fawltyness over the years.


Our most recent one - The Courthouse in Betws-Y-Coed (pronounced Betoos-er-koyd which means prayer house in the wood) in Snowdonia National Park (North Wales), is at the awesome end of the scale.

It's run by a lovely couple who genuinely seem to love what they do - which is basically, meeting people, putting them up in their (big) house by the river in Betws-Y-Coed and serving them breakfast. A simple transaction really but made extremely pleasurable by their efforts.

We've spent three days here over Christmas and it's been a wonderful experience. 

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: