Thursday, May 12, 2016

You may say I'm a dreamer (John Lennon)

You May Say I'm A Dreamer is also the title of my autobiography.

I wrote it in 1992 when I was 34 years old. Jade wanted to read it again last weekend and because it leaves out a lot of her life (and mine) since then (she was born in 1991) I thought it was ripe for an update and inclusion on the blog (which was not available to me in 1992).

Hopefully it will be fun to write (and rewrite) and read!

The first page has a couple of quotes on it that I love:

Sounds of laughter, shades of Earth are ringing through my open views inciting and inviting me. Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on across the universe (John Lennon).

Well - I guess I'm  just a sentimental old fluff (Groucho Marx).

You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes, well, you might find you get what you need (Mick Jagger).

Jacob begat Joseph
Joseph begat James
James begat William
William begat Harry
Harry begat Graham
Graham begat Warren 

The prologue:

Why?

I started this whole autobiography thing in 1991 as part of a teaching unit. I always aim to model activities so I started writing...and couldn't stop!
Pretty soon I'd filled a pad with scribbled notes during class time. One thing led to another and what started out as aiming for two chapters turned into eight!

Some amazing things happened as I wrote. I had loads of blanks where details were missing. In 1991 I still had my dad around so I started asking him questions. This meant a new kind of dialogue with him. I'd write him letters and be really knocked out by his reminiscences.

Old memories were eventually dredged up: many painful. Some things were traumatic to write about, but I did.

As I developed my writing I became more and more interested in my forbears on both sides of the family. A Purdy genealogy was a great resource, but unfortunately I don't have one for the Adsett side.

Reasons for writing an autobiography changed as I got more involved. I was into my seventh year of marriage to Jacky and by then we'd had four children; I thought they may get a kick out of learning my history.

In 1993 I rewrote a lot of the text after a English Teachers' Conference in Whangarei. During it Hone Tuwhare looked me squarely in the eyes and said, "Stamp!"

He was meaning a variety of things - stamp yourself on the place, leave a mark, be brave (kia kaha). That revved me up!

Now it's 2016 and after Jade left last weekend I reread the last chapter, the one that ends with her birth.

Lots has happened to us all since. Time to find out what!

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: