Monday, January 11, 2021

The secret to film is that it's an illusion (George Lucas)



Wie geht's?

George Lucas A Life by Brian Jay Jones has moved to the top of my reading pile.

It's been sitting there for a while, ever since I bought it for $5 from a second hand shop in Woodville.

I'm not usually one for biographies (give me an autobiography instead) but George is special and Brian Jones does a pretty good job. 

It also turns out there are additional pleasures to reading about his life as a student in the sixties. In the age of YouTube - we have access to all* of the films he made as a varsity student:

Look at Life

Freiheit

Herbie (* or nearly all - Herbie is a short film about a car - not that VW beetle one - but it's not on YouTube)

1:42.08

The Emperor

6-18-67

anyone lived in a pretty town

These are fascinating and pretty typical of students' films I guess. I did a Film Studies post graduate masters paper at Auckland University back in the 1980's and made similar types of films, albeit on video. I loved fooling around with cut up images and soundtracks but the passion to continue down that film route didn't exist in me like it did in George.

I love the fact that I can instantly reach those films now. I wonder if George minds that?

Whatever, the force is strong in these short films!

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: