Saturday, January 16, 2021

"I'm going to lie low," I said mendaciously. "While I do some heavy thinking."

My original hard back copy
from 1970 looked like this

Wie geht's?

Hopefully the answer to that question is that 2021 has started off more positively than 2020 for you but I know a lot of the planet is in lockdown or some sort of covid-19 hell.

Here in Nu Zild, life continues to gear up for a normal return to work for me next week with students set to arrive back on campus a week later.

In the meantime I'm continuing to read the George Lucas bio and a novel I last read 51 years ago: Running Blind by Desmond Bagley.

I bought it in hardback in 1970 and, at the time, it signalled something of a transition towards more adult themed novels.

Recently, I was browsing in the Hastings' Warehouse and saw a copy for $6.00 so I decided to re-read it.

It's still an exciting enough adventure/spy story but the writing hasn't aged particularly well, or else my tastes have expanded during the 51 intervening years and my standards have risen. Take your pick.

I guess you could file this away in the 'you should never go back' category.

That George Lucas bio though! Boy, that is delivering!

Love and peace - Wozza.

No comments: