Thursday, August 5, 2021

Because you're mine, I walk the line (Johnny Cash)

Ellesse Andrews before the tears started

Wie geht's?

The Olympics 2020 coverage on terrestrial TV has been completely absorbing.

The drama and the emotion has been pouring forth from Tokyo and other locations in Japan on a daily basis. 

Jacky and I have been glued to the coverage - no Netflix (a backlog of good shows and films should have built up hopefully), and no music when I get home - just straight to the TV. I know! No music!

The highlights have come thick and fast. Last night was capped off by another gold for the phenomenal Lisa Carrington, a Bronze for men's shot put, two silvers for NZ in the cycling and Ellesse Andrews' brilliant 'I can't stop crying' interview.

I know how she feels - I've been welling up regularly!!

We live in a crazy world. The daily grind, covid-19, lockdowns, full on weeks!

But isn't it great to know that elsewhere on the planet a bunch of people are fixated on person bests, world records, medals (where second and third both really matter), and peak performance. Seriously.

And how great is it that the vast majority of NZ's medal haul has gone to women at their peak. I'm thinking not only of Lisa, but also the Black Ferns, Ellesse, Emma Twigg, Kerry Gowler, Grace Prendergrast, Caitlin Regal, the women's rowing 8, Hannah Osborne, Brooke Donoghue, and Dame Val Adams. What a great list!  

On TV, there's a Toyota advert on high rotation stating, 'Start Your Impossible'. I love that idea. Clearly the women have really embraced that idea and provided valuable role models for the next generation.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: