Friday, September 8, 2023

Oh, my old man's an All Black, he wears the silver fern (The Howard Morrison Quartet)

Don Clarke, All Black legend.


Wie geht's?

I don't write much about rugby or the All Blacks on Wozza's Place, do I?

Truth is, although supporting our national team is in our DNA, I'm just not a fan of rugby. 

When I was a toddler, I was in awe of the ruggedly handsome, manly, Don Clarke, and told everyone that I wanted to kick a ball like him. I guess he reminded me a bit of my uncles who I adored, so hero worship landed early. But it didn't last.

Instead, I took myself off to Seymour Park and joined the Eden Football Club, aged 4.

At Primary school I was a normal sporty Kiwi kid, playing football and rugby, But the rugby didn't last.

Now days, I don't watch any rugby games on TV apart from when the AB's play and even then, I'm not going to make a special effort to tune in. 

There are just too many weird rules, too many interruptions. Nothing flows. All glaringly obvious after watching the high tempo, highly skilled, FIFA Women's World Cup.

But now New Zealand's attention has turned to the latest edition of the rugby world cup, happening in France.

We (of course 'we') lost to the French team this morning in the opening game. France, as hosts, will be a team expected to do well, but so are the AB's.

I happened to draw France in our office sweepstake so I'll be keen for them to go all the way. NZ will still qualify for the knock out stages, but on this morning's showing, I wouldn't expect them to necessarily make the final. Too many mistakes and too little dominance of the opposition. They don't strike fear in an opposition like they did in Don Clarke's day.

A France v New Zealand final would be super cool though. We shall see.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: