Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Well I'll never be a stranger and I'll never be alone, whenever we're together, that's my home (Billy Joel)

This posting will be the final Jalal bin Thaneya update as he reached the end of his mammoth walk from Al Ruwais to Makkah on Sunday.



He's certainly one inspirational character.

Here are some quotes from the last news story in the Gulf News (http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/experience-has-changed-me-bin-thaneya-says-1.974181).
"This experience has given me a different understanding of myself. When I set off on the walk, I thought I was capable but now I am confident," he said. Self-confidence and the belief in one's ability to make a difference in this world, he says, are crucial. Not just for him but for everyone.

As life has it, transient circumstances can deflect your focus along the journey. Look what happened to him: Only a few hours before this, as he neared Makkah, the 50 days of walking were culminating in a disorienting feeling like he had just left an "operation theatre".

Physical fatigue and mental alertness on permanent auto-pilot had taken their toll on him. He couldn't wear sunglasses, he was walking in Ihram and the distance was playing tricks. "It was extremely painful, the last stretch."

His body was running on minimal instinct and his mind was taut with anticipation. But the moment he began his Umrah, the chimera of circumstance vanished like mist on a sunny morning. Such, says Bin Thaneya, is the power of belief.
Now that's writing you don't see everyday. When was the last time you read an article that included the phrase 'chimera of circumstance'?

Jalal at journey's end in Makkah.

Anyway - asant Jalal and enjoy your well earned rest.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: