Saturday, September 14, 2013

It took me so long to find out, but I found out (The Beatles)

*
I have struggled with my recreational reading this term. I've read a couple of books that I've taught at school, but, outside of those, it's been Mojo and Prog Rock magazines and Life Of Pi.

I've been chewing through it at a snail's pace. Mainly because of a lack of time, partly because I haven't really got into the story in a sustained way, and this is partly because I've been largely reading it during library periods at school.

I was actually only reading it in the first place because it is a colleague's favourite book in the same way that Zen and the Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance is mine. That is, it's a book we return to again and again to experience fresh revelations, and one we feel compelled to share with others.

The difference being that I would never teach Zen.. and Greg teaches Pi to his Y13s. Brave. I've taught favourite books and films before without great success. Of course, the students don't love it like I do so it's ultimately not a fulfilling experience.

So - it took me so long to find out what happens to Pi, but I found out (I finished it after a marathon reading session at about 3.30 one morning last week).

I enjoyed the book, I wouldn't have persevered if I hadn't, but I can't rave over it much.

I did, however, really love the book's concluding chapters.

At the end of the novel Picine (Pi) has his story challenged by some Japanese investigators who don't believe his survival story that involves a tiger on a lifeboat. Go figure.

Pi says "Isn't telling something - using words, English or Japanese - already something of an invention? Isn't just looking upon this world already something of an invention?"

"The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no? And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no? Doesn't that make life a story? The telling of something always becomes a story.

This is true. My blog is a case in point. It's my invention, my world, my 'telling of something' which I share with the blogosphere. And you interpret it as you will.

* The photo above was a double exposure I took about 32 years ago. It's me looking at my 'self' reading. I am experiencing a deja vu feeling looking at it now and as I type and recreate my world on this post, someone else entirely is looking upon my world, 32 years later.

Woo - deep.

Love and peace - Wozza/Wozza

P.S. Hi Irene - hope you're on the mend chuck!

No comments: