Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Look at me, can't you see, all I really want to be, is free from a world, that hurts me (Red Hot Chili Peppers)


Wie geht's?

It's been a cruel couple of weeks, what with the murder of George Floyd and the anger that engendered. My escape (dealing with a 24/7 world that has Trump as a 'leader' is tough, so I need to escape from time to time) is via books, of course.

Books read:

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
The Blue Door
- André Brink
A Gentleman In Moscow - Amor Towles
Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
Mojo May 2020
Shindig! Issue 101


Most recently I finished A Gentleman in Moscow. A copy came to me via my colleague Julie at school, which was very generous of her - thanks Julie! 

It's just a great book - well written, with characters that are endearing, and there are plot twists that you never quite see coming. 

The return from lockdown has meant my music magazines have finally returned to stores. Shindig! had a cover story on 1970s' Beach Boys' albums (nothing new but I love reading about them) so that hooked me and of course, Mojo has been a fixture in my weekly reading for many years. Great to have them back.

Now I'm reading Robinson Crusoe. That story and Towles' book are perfect post lockdown come downs (Towles' lead character is sentenced to permanent house arrest in a Moscow hotel in 1922; Crusoe is in another enforced lockdown that we can all relate to much more intimately now).

Defoe's style is tough - back to real Dickens-esque concentration on sentences that last paragraphs. Once I get into the groove it's very rewarding though. Really!

Love and peace - Woz

No comments: