Saturday, June 20, 2020

Yes, I'm a child of the universe (Barclay James Harvest)

 

Wie geht's?

The industrial revolution has a lot to answer for - assembly lines and rough working conditions, child labour and so on. But without it, and the labour unions, and Henry Ford who cunningly, in the early 1900s, decided it give workers two days off so they could enjoy his cars and therefore buy more of them, I wouldn't have had two days to relax after a hectic week.

Boy, did I need a reset. Much obliged Henry.

My recent Facebook profiles have included art from my former students, who loved to draw/ caricature their teachers.

Uncanny how they captured me at various stages of my life. 

The mullet ones are clearly from the eighties, the bum bag one is from the late nineties.

They often gave them to me, either on cards or scraps of paper. I, of course, never throw anything like this away. I can't.

So much time, energy, thought and care went into all of those letters and cards and drawings that it would feel like a betrayal to throw them away.

So they are in storage and move with me from place to place.

Speaking of throwing away - I couldn't continue with Daniel Defoe's story of Robinson Crusoe. 

Three reasons: as I was plowing through the opening sections, I realised that I'd read it before (all of those detailed descriptions of retrieving material from the shipwreck did it); the aforementioned slavery material (see last post); and third - there are no chapters. It's just one long laborious text!

Can't be doing with all that.

So I've transfered my attention to Boy Swallows Universe (again thanks to Julie for lending a copy). It's definitely a stark contrast to all my recent reading matter.

It's a scarey (fictional) picture of some Brisbane seedy underworld figures of the mid eighties -  seen through the eyes of Eli - the preteen protagonist.

Good though - great writing (his first book!). I whizzed through 100 pages very quickly for me (would have been 20 if I was prolonging the agony with R. Crusoe).

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: