Monday, June 7, 2021

Boil us down to our essentials - we're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams (Arab Strap)


Wie geht's?

The reading pile needed restocking so a trip to The Little Red Bookshop was in order this long weekend, with a stop off at the Plaza Bookshop for the Mark Manson book - recommended to me by Karen Boyes.

I'm currently reading Nicholas Nickleby and The Arabian Nights compilation of stories a chapter/story at a time, as well as the latest Mojo and Uncut (couldn't resist the lure of a Pete Townshend interview).

Funnily enough it's my latest Dickens' novel that I really itch to read after picking up the other items. I'm glad I'm reading him in my sixties. I'm not sure I would have appreciated the deft plotting and characters during my youth or the child rearing years or the last twenty-ish years of OE . Far too many distractions, commitments or adventures respectively during those parts of my life.

But now, now it's an unspeakable joy to put on some music and read Nicholas Nickleby; Red Garland, Stan Getz, Cannonball Adderley, Coltrane or Monk all suit the mood extremely well - no vocals please - Dickens' prose is enough to absorb without someone else's verbiage.

Love and peace - WNP

No comments: