Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Hare Kṛṣṇa Hare Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa Hare Hare Hare Rāma Hare Rāma Rāma Rāma Hare Hare


Wie geht's?

News and communication is pretty instantaneous these days.

I went for a walk around the adjacent sports park at lunchtime yesterday (it's a frequent thing on nice weather days and a great way to clear the head), came back and went to the staff room for lunch where they were talking about a big earthquake in Melbourne; sent a quick message to Adam on the family chat and got an instant reply that he and his wife were shaken up but otherwise fine.

Great feeling knowing that instantly. Otherwise Jacky and I would have worried until we heard some reassuring news.

I'm very thankful for that aspect of the phone and modern technology.

It also allows me to keep in touch with friends like Noel Forth.

My recent Goo Goo G'Joob blog post reminded me of a time when I was about 18 (still a schoolboy) and Noel asked me to pick up a record for him (he still lives in Adelaide): The Radha Krsna Temple London album on Apple Records (pictured above).

He gave me an address in Ponsonby and I drove there after school on a Friday afternoon. It was a fairly grungy student flat, bottom floor of an old house - this is around 1976 so Ponsonby was still a run down part of central Auckland at that time.

A bearded young guy wearing sandals, I presumed a drug crazed University student, answered the door, invited me in and went to a pile of records stacked in an old beer crate. I grabbed the record, and beat a quick retreat before he and his drug crazed friends abducted me, shaved my head, and forced me to smoke some illicit substance or pop a pill that would alter my consciousness for ever (I'd read about this sort of thing and Paul McCartney had indicated his reticence for drug taking in that he might end up in a state that he couldn't return from). Oh my!

I have an active imagination!

I guess that's why I remember this isolated incident from the late seventies so vividly.

I asked Noel for details around how he knew the record was there and he couldn't remember anything about it at all!! Laugh out loud!

Love and peace - Wozza

2 comments:

Noelthe4th said...

Soz....that was many (Keith) Moons ago...but I do remember that you got me the NZ Radha Krishna Temple...and I still have it! When Rozanne and I were in Auckland in Feb 1976 on outmr honeymoon, I put up a sign on the door a a record shop ... I can't remember the name of the shop but it was in the same road as Taste Records was but on the ocean side of that intersection...it might have been to the new location for Taste, I really don't remember, but I offered $20 for a copy of the Radha Krishna Temple Apple album...a New Zealand pressing and just before we returned to Australia the owner of the shop was happy to show me the $20 album that he had obtained from a customer for me but it had the customer's name written on the labels (!!!) so needless to say I was on a quest to get a copy without any graffiti on it at all and you obviously obliged so I still owe you for that one🤗

Wozza said...

Alright!! No need for the soz and I still owe you! Wow - you were married in 1976. I did not know that. So I found the album somehow? I was in the seventh form at MAGS in 1976 so maybe a mate at school lead to that Ponsonby address. Curious! I must ask my oldest friend - Greg was at school with me and he and I travelled down from K Rd to the bottom of Queen St visiting every record store along the way. I check with him and get back to you.