Wednesday, June 26, 2024

We should take wandering outdoor walks (Seneca)



Wie geht's?

I'm with Seneca!

Walking is good for many things. When I walk I am more aware of my surroundings, and more conscious of my thoughts and my breathing.

Recently, we watched She Said - a movie on Netflix (highly recommended btw) about two New York Times reporters investigating Harvey Weinstein's sexual abuse of women, Woodward and Bernstein style. There is a lot of walking around involved and an important moment is when Ashley Judd (appearing as herself) makes a key decision after going for a run.

In the past, if I've felt stressed or overwhelmed, I've taken a walk. If I've had a tough problem to solve or a key decision to make, I've taken a walk (Nietzsche says that it is only ideas gained from walking that have any worth).

If I've needed to clear my head or had to make an important phone call, I've taken a walk.

Apart from that, it's about the only exercise I can do these days (running days are long gone), Jacky and I have good discussions on our walks, and I have found that it frees up my back pain quite well too.

I have certainly missed doing it on the painting days of late, and winter weather makes it a bit more difficult to be motivated to put on my walking shoes, but those are only barriers if I let them be.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: