Thursday, January 21, 2016

Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London (Ralph McTell)

I love the anonymity of walking London's streets.

I'm not a big crowd person but if I can hide in the anonymity of a big crowd I'm okay. More than okay!

As Frédéric Gros says about the stroller in A Philosophy Of Walking
He melts into the mechanical mass, but voluntarily, to conceal himself there. After that anonymity is not a constraint that crushes him but an opportunity for enjoyment, enabling him to feel more vividly himself from his private internal vantage point. Since he is hiding, he won't experience anonymity as oppression, but as opportunity. Amid the dense,  gloomy solitude of the crowd he carves out that of an observer and poet: no one can see what he is looking at. He is like a wrinkle in the crowd. the stroller is out of synch, a decisive maladjustment that without excluding or distancing him, abstracts him from the anonymous mass and makes him singular in himself.
I think he sums this feeling up brilliantly.

This is exactly the feeling I had again last week, while in Oxford St and Westminster Abbey watching the illuminations that Boris Johnson had shouted the people of London.

There was most definitely a crush of people but being out of synch and in myself was a definite advantage to me as I watched. 

These couple of photos by SWMBO capture that perfectly.




Where's Wozza?


Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: