Wednesday, June 20, 2018

I am the son and heir of nothing in particular (The Smiths)

Photo by Mikael Cho on Unsplash
Wie geht's?

In case you were going to ask me if I'm getting excited yet (with seven weeks to go before leaving NZ for the UK)...

'Sort of, not really' is my stock answer.

What gives, Wozza?

Wishing myself somewhere else runs counter to my 'be here now'. If I start thinking too much about what's to come, I'll neglect the here and now. Simple, huh!

In addition to that, the guilt sets in if I get too excited - SWMBO is always giving up more than I am during our moves. As she says, "I need a base", so she misses her possessions more than I do.

Instead, I subscribe to Hsing Yun's words: humans have to refrain from their external cravings in order to seek treasures of the inner mind.

So, during this stage of the move, I can appear to be  annoyingly glib about leaving possessions behind. 

A case in point: I was told off for my tractor post a while back. I loved the tractor but my practical brain told me I couldn't store it anywhere, I couldn't take it with me, it was going to need more and more TLC mechanically speaking and I just don't have the know-how. That didn't mean I didn't appreciate all of Brian's work. I really did!

The tractor's fate was sealed when we left Stratford really.

The family heirloom fits into that category too. Unfortunately Ross has decided his concrete making days are over so I have had to make a dispassionate decision, as I did with the tractor. 

Doesn't mean I don't love that concrete mixer to bits though!

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: