Wednesday, February 17, 2021

I don't wanna belong to anyone (Fontaines DC)


Wie geht's?

After another Anne Tyler (Redhead By The Side Of The Road*) which I read in the weekend, it's time for something a little more challenging - in this case, another Dickens' novel.

* That title intrigued me for ages until I got to the bit where the main character doesn't wear his glasses jogging and so mistakes a red fire hydrant for a redhead every time he goes running. Every time. I can relate to that - I'm forever mis-seeing things without my glasses - usually it's tree branches or clouds that take on the shape of faces. It's great!

Anyway, Dickens.

Hard Times seems appropriate. It's been sitting in the pile for a while (there are too many enticing Anne Tyler novels in the pile). And the world is certainly experiencing hard times.

I would have started Martin Booth's The Industry of Souls that Julie lent me but I've struggled to get into it so far (too many Anne Tyler nov...)

So far so good with Hard Times. Although it doesn't ring as true as the other Dickens I've read. Maybe it's the fictitious Coketown where the story is set. Not sure.

But the characters are the usual fun grotesqueries. The women are generally not flatteringly portrayed - doormats for their obnoxious husbands for the most part. Maybe one of the female characters gains some gumption. I hope so.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: