Saturday, August 13, 2022

Don't pass me by; don't make me cry (The Beatles)

Photo by A n v e s h on Unsplash

Wie geht's?

Me?

It's been six weeks since my NDE and people can still surprise me by asking how I'm doing. 

Well, I'm still getting over the seatbelt crush on my sternum. It still twings when I get in and out of a car, when I tighten the belt on my trousers, and when I put on my seatbelt I know why I still feel it.

Aside from that, and my nose injury which continues to remind me of July 5, I'm really feeling fine physically. Mentally as well. No PTSD. Although I still get a flash from time to time of the moment of impact.

Behaviourally, the NDE has had clear repercussions for my driving. It's not like I was speedy pre crash, but I did get impatient with drivers going slower than me and I'd get agitated and itchy to pass them. Now that I stick rigidly to all speed limits and cars mount up behind me and eventually pass me by, sometimes in risky moves, I am much more patient and philosophic about the craziness of driving. 

New Zealand drivers on State Highway 2 from Takapau to Hastings are dumb as a bag of hammers. Just to be one car length ahead of me they will risk their safety (and mine). Invariably, ahead of us will be a truck (there's always another truck on the highway) or someone else driving to the speed limit. The gain is arriving at a destination a second or two ahead of me.

There's nowt so queer as folk.

Thanks for asking.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: