Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Sugar, ah, honey, honey - you are my candy girl (The Archies)



Wie geht's?

Have you ever considered how hard it is to find a drink that both tastes good and is good for you (apart from water that is)?

I faced this very conundrum this week as I attempted to avoid bad for me drinks like Coke classic and Coke no sugar - my staples (if you want to know why they are bad for you please feel free to contact the light of my life a.k.a. Jacky Purdy and our fourth awesome child - Jade Purdy who have strong opinions on this stuff).

During the week, I went to the Four Square by school and checked out the drinks' chillers.

Yikes - everything was varying degrees of bad to terrible for me - sugar or caffeine loadings, artificial sweeteners or else artificial other things.

I settled on a bottle of Ribena blackcurrant fruit juice - figuring all the no this, no that, no the other thing, was cool.

When I got back to work my staff reacted with horror and shock. 'What are you doing?', they asked! 'Didn't you realise it's full of sugar?', they asked?

'Sugar?', I said. 'It says no this, no that, no the other stuff!!'

Doh! Of course it was, stoopid! So, I donated the Ribena to Thomas and sought help from the internet and my staff.

Green tea came top of the pops. So I tried that - good for me? sure. Tastes good? Nah-har.

Kombucha!! one of my helpful teachers suggested.

Hmmm. I tried a cola version and....actually...yes! Tastes good (or at least tastes like a cola) and is good for me.

Jade's verdict? Yes, okay, she begrudgingly admitted. It is very good for you, but in small doses.

Phew. So water and Kombucha (if I can find it) for me from now onwards.

Love and peace - Wozza

P.S. I feel duty bound and, full disclosure, I did need a brief pause on the water and Kombucha as I was out to dinner with colleagues last night and enjoyed a beer and a coke (classic). The road to ruin is paved with good intentions but - starting tomorrow...

No comments: