Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Hard act to follow, you're a hard act to follow (Split Enz)



Wie geht's?

These days, given two amigos live in Auckland and I'm in Central Hawke's Bay, it takes something special to reunite the three amigos in a non-virtual world. Our love and affection for Tim Finn and his songs is one such reason to get the band back together.




Auckland's Civic Theatre holds special memories for us growing up. I've seen more movies than I can count in that wonderful location. The effort and expense to maintain this glorious picture palace is well worth it.

That was the venue for Tim and his band on the final concert on his six city tour, and it was well worth all the effort (and expense) on our part to get to it.


Two amigos (GK was downstairs with his brother)


The Split Enz songs were great opening crowd pleasers - I mean, how can you go wrong opening with the one-two punch of My Mistake and I See Red?

The band and the song selections were mostly on point (although I could have done without Ghost Girl) and Tim's voice was mostly the force it has always been, albeit a bit more ravaged by time (especially so on I Hope I Never).



The reviews I've read have been really positive. My slight quibble would be that I'd have liked some more solo Tim Finn songs but that's just me.

We left the scene happy campers. Kevy secured a signed poster for us both and GK's brother risked life and limb to grab a set list. 

Overall, this great Civic experience added a new selection to the memory banks.

Love and peace - Wozza

P.S. thanks to K and AM for hosting us, and thanks to JFP for the great photos.

No comments: