Friday, September 11, 2009

Try to see it once my way, everything zen.

Dad continues to make some progress with physio and is still in North Shore Hospital. The football season is finally over in NZ and I had my first Saturday sleep-in today, since about April. A good feeling.

The Pittsburgh Steelers got off to a good start today - beating the Titans in the first game of the new season 13-10. Santonio Holmes was again a hero (and Hines Ward nearly a villain). Do you remember that catch to win the last Superbowl? Check back through the blog. It's worth it. He caught a touchdown pass today in great fashion. Wahoo! He's still my hero.

This is the 101st post on this weblog. Pretty cool huh. I'm quite pleased with its evolution over those 100 posts. I wanted to mix up the mundane day to day stuff with other things and that will continue throughout the next 99.

I'm re reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance again. This will be the fourth time I think. I dip into it from time to time but only three times have I completely reread it. Immediately I was struck by the following passage:


"What's new?" is an interesting and broadening eternal question, but one which, if pursued exclusively, results only in an endless parade of trivia and fashion, the silt of tomorrow.
This pursuit of trivia is why I haven't bothered with Twitter (well named though, isn't it?). Its 'what I am doing right now?' premise is guaranteed to deliver an endless parade of trivia. It's not for me and even Facebook doesn't hold that much appeal really. I know Keegan has jumped off the social network site Facebook with no regrets.

The latest Guardian Weekly ran a comment column on the world's microblogging culture and the dawning of the age of interactivity. It made some interesting points - that this technological/emotional/cultural revolution is driven by a belief that constantly interacting with others is an inherently worthwhile activity.

The last word goes to the great great Henry David Thoreau who wrote in Walden - "We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing to communicate".

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: