I spent a week at Fieldays one day this week and realised a few things:
- I still HATE the way they join field and days to make the non-sensical 'Fieldays'.
- Wozza's world and Fielday's world don't normally intersect - except in this case - when supervising my Young Enterprise Scheme (YES) students at their stall in the Innovation Tent.
- Farmers (bless 'em) are a special breed - who knew that there could be so many variations and industrial mechanisms for pumping water?
- Farmers like gadgets - the bigger the better. Forget 'like', love.
- Aucklanders (I'm a born and bred but can't/won't live there no more) are insane to put up with that traffic every day. Took me five hours each way.
- Ole Timey, real Nu Zild was on show big time - Swanndris, gumboots, floppy hats or baseball caps, beards and stubble (I was going to go for the yucks and say, 'and that's just the women' but that would be a cheap shot and I'm better than that).
- The cringe factor still exists - Rural Bachelor of the Year contest anyone?
- Nestled as it is in the countryside near Hamilton, Mystery Creek is well named and well placed for Fieldays.
- This was my first, and last, visit.