Monday, February 28, 2011

So I'm watchin' and I'm waitin', hopin' for the best. (The Mothers Of Invention)

There have been news reports today of protests and two protesters (or six depending on the report) being killed by police in Oman. In stark terms this is not good. It appears that the unrest that began in Tunisia and spread to Bahrain, Egypt, Yemen and Libya has landed on our back door. Or close to the back door - in Suhar.

Our friends and family need not be alarmed though.

Oman is only a few miles away from where we live and work in Al Ain, but it is a vastly different country with very different problems. For instance - there is a large degree of poverty in Oman that is not replicated in the UAE. There is no social unrest in the UAE, whereas, since January 2011, there is a lot in Oman.

In the second map down below you can see that Suhar (where the protests are centred) is about an hour drive from Al Ain travelling east.




You can rest assured that my company is monitoring the situation and even if things look like escalating in Oman I am confident that we are safe here.

That may not be what is presented on news bulletins however so please factor in the sensational when you watch.

Frank Zappa sums up things well:

Well I'm about to get sick
From watchin' my TV
Been checkin' out
the news
Until my eyeballs fail to see
I mean to say that every day
Is just another rotten mess
And when it's gonna change, my friend
Is anybody's guess


----------------------------------

As a response to the Christchurch earthquake we will be observing a minutes silence tomorrow at midday (our time) and in a gesture of solidarity we will be wearing black and red clothing on Wednesday (Canterbury colours).

---------------------------------

Finally - spare me a thought as I try to come to terms with the Arsenal loss last night. I felt sick watching it and I felt like I'd experienced a nightmare when I awoke this morning. Jacky just doesn't get it: she told me to 'pick another team' - as if that was possible!

Not a good week!!

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: