Sunday, January 8, 2012

It was written that I would love you from the moment I opened my eyes (Paul Ramone)

I found this great quote by Mark Twain in an article on the prog metal band Opeth (of all things!):

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
I am quite inspired by this, especially given that I was about to fly back to Al Ain when I read that. It was a good reminder that, although the flight meant the start of a temporary but painful  period of time apart from SWMBO, we are still challenging ourselves and not settling for a safe harbour just yet.

I'm not going to pretend for a second that this isn't tough going though and the time for safe harbour is rapidly approaching. If you doubt our commitment then you don't have a very strong partnership going on. SWMBO and I do everything together and we don't want to be apart for any significant time. Needs must in this situation but it doesn't mean that either of us likes it. I really, really don't understand how some of my colleagues spend extended periods of time away from their partner and even seem to enjoy it. Weird!

I am trying to keep busy and starting back at work has helped but it's trickier at home when, as I've explained, we watch TV series on DVD that we both enjoy. As you know that means Grey's Anatomy and Lost over the last few months.

We watched a few episodes into Season 7 of Grey's before Christmas, and we have completed three Seasons of Lost up to now, but now that I'm on my own for a while a hiatus has had to be imposed.

So what to watch? Well no box sets that's fer sure.

So far it's been music DVDs that SWMBO would not sit still for; namely Pearl Jam Twenty, Rory Gallagher live at the Montreaux Jazz Festival, a documentary on The Cirque Du Soleil's Beatles extravaganza called Love, and Opeth at the Royal Albert Hall.

Sitting in the wings are Marty Scorsese's documentary on George Harrison and a John Mayer live DVD.

I also have a selection of movies stockpiled that we've seen already but I want to see again.  That should last me, oh, about a week!

So it looks like a lot of football on TV, reading and practising my guitar are on the agenda to while away the hours.

Love and peace - Wozza

P.S. Abdulla has just told me that we have a staff BBQ on Tuesday so that's a night I won't have to cook!

No comments: