Sunday, October 26, 2014

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse (Pink Floyd)

The first time always remains in the memory does it not?

The first kiss, first day of school, first time seeing The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show, first time ever I saw her face, you get the idea.

The loss of innocence and the venturing into the unknown can be scary.

As an episode of Grey's Anatomy that we watched recently discussed (the one where April reveals she's a virgin) - the first...you know...time, is also always memorable for a variety of reasons.

For me the first time was when I was very young. She called herself 'Ladybird' and she was very beautiful and I fell deeply and instantly in love. 

I still have her, actually.The love affair has been going for over five decades so far.

Her full name was Ladybird Book of Bedtime Stories and she entered my life in 1958. I was one year old.

The book is not in the greatest state of repair - it was read to me a lot and the years of shifting and storage have created many wrinkles and rough edges. 

I pulled it off the shelf recently with my next two memorable books, I'm not sure why. I wasn't feeling especially nostalgic or anything but I'm glad I did.

I sat down and reread it and the magic in the pictures and the stories is still there.

One of the rhymes sums me and my surreal Wozza's World up pretty well so I have included it here for you to share:





Isn't that just wonderful? My mum read that to me when I was one. My fleeting glimpse. Says it all really.

Begs the following questions:
  1. What was your first book?
  2. Do you still have it?
  3. What are the 21st C kids getting for theirs?
Love and peace - Wozza

P.S. Books two and three to come next post.

No comments: