Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Yes, it is, it's true (The Beatles)


The happiest man is he who can connect the evening of his life with the beginning - so says Dante!

Okay - don't want to get too dramatic here. I've only turned 60 years old. No big deal. But...

I have found myself reconnecting with aspects of my youth all my life: my vinyl obsessions, and often a return to albums from the sixties and especially the seventies - my period; Look and Learn magazines; books/TV shows/movies that I've loved before, are some examples.

And I think I know why.
Far beyond childhood, when one recalls being read to or told a story, there is a renewal of the sense of being cared for. That positive emotional state can resurface throughout one’s life when narratives are heard. 
In addition, hearing the same book repeatedly allows the brain to seek its own intrinsic rewards. The brain’s response to making a choice or prediction that turns out to be correct is a release of dopamine, triggering a feeling of deep satisfaction and pleasure.
This extract is from an Edutopia article - The Neuroscience of Narrative and Memory.

It's a good thing. Yes, it is, it's true.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: