Saturday, September 30, 2017

I am the blank page before you, I am the fine idea you crave (London Grammar)

Book 39
The latest Mojo Magazine tells me that Steve Winwood got his first guitar in 1957 and Jamaica's first vinyl pressing plant was established in Kingston in that year as well.

They say it's your birthday, well it's my birthday too yeah!

Yes, something huge happened 59+1 years ago in Auckland Nu Zild. Dulcie Mary Purdy went into labour and produced her first son. I emerged right on tea time on October 1.

Ta daar!!

But enough of that, here's another episode in the Wozza Culture Breakdown y'all. Starting with a gift from my staff at school - the Dr Seuss book was great!!

It's been a while since the last catch up. So, grab a coffee and settle in.


Books: Amazingly, it's week 35 and here are books 35 through 39.

35 - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood being Eric Burden's autobiography (J Marshall Craig helped him with the words). 

What a (loveable) dick he is! Ripped off and forever chasing non-binding relationships, Eric comes across as a rambling man who never feels like he belongs anywhere for long. Sad in a way.

There's nothing much about his talent on offer in the narrative (whaaat??). Basically, he's a Geordie who can't hold down a steady crew. The only constant being his glorious voice but he's very silent about the effect his voice has on the various bands he's fronted. Curious.

He loves Hendrix, hates Alan Price, loves Chas Chandler, hates Mike Jeffery and every other manager he's (willingly) signed his soul to. Oh, and he loves a long line of bad girls!


I got the book from the Piggery. At the same time, picked up one of Frank Richards' Billy Bunter adventure, Billy Bunter and the Crooked Captain (book 36).

I used to read these voraciously when I was younger. Reading it again is still a treat!

Richards is a master plotter if you know what I mean.

Book 37 This Is Where I Leave You (Jonathan Tropper).


It's been made into a movie and I'll catch it on Netflix at some stage. It reads a little like the Steve Carell movie Dan In Real Life in parts. 
The main character, Judd, is like Michael from Thirtysomething.  

Which means I liked it!

Seth Godin is the man! I get his daily blog (which feels like chips off a bigger block). Some of those blocks of wisdom are compiled into Tribes (book 38).

Netfix series: we are currently battling Grounders, Mountainmen and Reapers on Season 2 of The 100. It's pretty graphic - flesh eating zombies, everything is a threat, violence is a way of life - that sort of thing.

Sport: I've watched a few NFL and Arsenal games. However, in the lead up to the end of the term, that has been a sporadic endeavour. 

I'm part of the Gooner tribe so it's been a roller coaster ride this season thus far. I am also of the Steeler tribe - have yet to watch one of their games though.

Music: With my birthday came a mammoth visit to Real Groovy in Auckland, Being in Queen Street it has also taken in JB HiFi (poor selection there now) and Marbecks Records in the Queen's Arcade.

One of my many purchases was a new copy of West Bruce and Laing's second studio album from 1973 - Whatever Turns You On. My original copy was pressed really badly in NZ and was almost unlistenable.

The latest copy from RG is an American version with a better cover and pristine sound. It's like listening to a new record. Jack Bruce and Leslie West and Corky Laing emerge clear as a bell from the murk of my memory. 

It has only taken me 44 years to find a better version and it only cost me $4.95.

Best birthday present ever!!

Love and peace - Wozza


No comments: