Saturday, March 9, 2019

Liar - oh everybody deceives me; liar - ooh, why don't you leave me alone? (Queen)


Wie gehts?

This is a public safety warning: don't be sucked in, as I was, by clever advertising for James Patterson's Liar Liar.

Constantly walking past London Underground billboards proclaiming Liar Liar features the female Jack Reacher did me in big time.

Unfortunately I had nothing to read on a return journey, so when LOML needed a comfort stop between the London Bridge tube station and the Southern rail service to Caterham, I ducked into a WHS Smith and bought Liar Liar too quickly.

Bad bad bad mistake.

My heart started sinking on the train and then I went through a bloody minded phase - I paid 8 quid for this so by crickey I'm going to read it - that lasted until an hour ago, when I stuffed it into the bag of stuff to go to the charity shop tomorrow.

Why is it so bad? 

  • The writing fails abysmally compared to Lee Child  
  • Juliet Blue is NO JACK REACHER
  • It's a serial killer story (I avoid them)
  • It's set in Australia

Yes, my expectations were high thanks to the advertising, but that's not my fault is it?

But, yes, I agree, I should have taken some time on due diligence before handing over my debit card. Mea culpa.

So: don't get sucked in like I did and avoid this novel (and James Patterson) like the plague.

Love and peace - WNP

No comments: