Monday, March 25, 2019

Life is a game we play (Oasis)

c. Jesse Rowbotham
A return to positivity. Familiar territory.

Visiting Los Angeles on the way back to NZ from England was lovely. We stayed with Fanfa for a few days and Jesse's picture (above) hangs on her apartment wall.

It's an awesome reminder of Nu Zildness: the relaxed pose, the emptiness, the open space, the remoteness but at the same time the sense of purpose in a crazy world, and my binary love/hate stop/go attitude to the land of my birth. 

Jesse has a talented eye and he managed to capture the essence of the place succinctly.

Sometimes, it's good to go away because you appreciate what you left behind when you return.

After 8 months living and working in England, we are back to the relative warmth of life in our home country: New Zealand.

It's genuinely good to be back (yes, really) and to be able to announce that, finally, I'm done with living in England.

Austerity and bad Brexit vibes have transformed a place I love, although I still have a feeling of belonging to pre 1974 Lancashire and my relatives in Ramsbottom, Bury, and Rochdale are very important to me*, I know my place is no longer there. 

It is here, with family and a grandson who will need our TLC.

All up, I am cured of my wanderlust.

I know my family will be shaking their heads with a resigned look on their faces which is fair enough. But I'll prove them wrong. 

We're back baby!

Love and peace - Wozza

*Huge shout out to Irene Purdy, Christine and the Kirkhams (Fran, Tom, Lew), the Geddes and Haigh families.

No comments: