Thursday, October 17, 2019

Hearken! and observe how healthily - how calmly I can tell you the whole story (Edgar Allen Poe)


Wie geht's?

A few weeks ago, Jade, William and Asher gave me a lovely birthday gift: David Miller's That Glimpse Of The Truth - a collection of the 100 best short stories. Ever.

Okay, yes. In the past, I've largely struggled with the short story format. Writing one is tough as. Reading them can also be tricky.

Doesn't help that I mainly associate short stories with English lessons I've taught over the years.

In her wisdom, Jade gave me the option of swapping it for something else but I decided to stick with it after Jacky said she'd love me to read her the stories.

So, in true Arabian Nights tradition,  I've taken on the role of Scheherazade (yes, I know she's a she), and read from the stories each night.

The anthology is set out in chronological order according to the writer's birth-date! 

Weirdest story so far goes to Cervantes (born 1547) - the creator of Don Quixote and his story - about a deceitful marriage. But Gogol's surreal story, The Nose, is also looney tunes.

All up, it's giving us a lot of fun and creating some interesting conversations about what on earth is going on in the writers' heads!

Good choice Jade.

Love and peace - Dad

No comments: