Saturday, July 4, 2020

I woke out of a sound sleep feeling like a rat shaken by a terrier (David Crosby)

Wie geht's?

Against all odds I enjoyed a lot of the third of the novels that Julie has passed on to me from her book club selections: His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet.

Why was I worried? Well, there's: 
  • The icky blood flecked cover
  • The Man Booker Prize shortlisting
  • The opening conceit of eye witness accounts
  • The book of notes that came with the book
All screamed 'avoid'.

And, in the end, I probably should have. The issue for me is that the book is an exercise in presenting a historic event (a triple murder) as a novel, of sorts.

I kept waiting for a plot twist that never came. So that ended up causing some dissatisfaction. But I'm pleased I read it through to the end.

Currently, I'm ripping through David Crosby's second book, Since Then. It's also a tad disappointing in that he pads it out with notes from his co-writer Carl Gottleib and stacks of lengthy quotes from family and friends.

That does provide context and alternative views: Chris Hillman's take on Crosby's 'mortal sin' is interesting.

Still, more Croz would have been better!

Think I need to head back to The Little Red Book Shop for something meaty. Or else I need to read Hard Times, the last Dickens novel that is in my to be read pile.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: