Thursday, April 29, 2021

Holiday far away, to stay, on a holiday, far away. Let's go today (Weezer)

Huka Falls and boating on the river by Te Rangiita

Wie geht's?

Jacky and I have just returned from our brief trip away from Maple Grove (huge thanks to my school for shouting us a two night stay at the Millennium hotel in Lake Taupo). 

We returned to a few familiar Taupo haunts and recharged for a couple of days.

Taupo (pronounced Toe-paw) has been a holiday destination for me and my family, off and on, for many years. My earliest memories are of motel stays on the way to the Chateau Tongariro but then for 4 or 5 years dad took us to his work colleague's place in Te Rangiita - a little settlement on the way to Turangi.

My parents then bought a section and built 'The Taupo house' close to Rainbow point on the fringes of the Taupo township.

Our children know this place well - we had many holidays there as they were growing up.

Rituals like Rainbow Point Store ice creams, the Lions' Walk, trips to the video store in town, the swings and mini-golf, cricket in the front yard, and visits to Huka Falls and Craters Of The Moon were part of our holidays there. As Keegan said recently - Taupo: The Greatest Hits!

Each time I'm visiting Lake Taupo I get flashbacks to events of the past.

As we drove to Huka Falls I remembered as a very young boy causing dad some instant angst. I have always loved puns and word play, so as we drove past a sign for the Lake Taupo Lookout I said from the back seat - Lake Taupo LOOKOUT!!! (shouting this last bit).

Oh Boy, did I get a scalding for that one.

Te Rangiita era - GNP. Photo by me.

Funnily enough a lot of my memories are from the Te Rangiita stays at the Jackman's house from when I was about 10 to 15. A beautiful spot and carefree days spent fishing, reading, mucking around in boats.

Sounds like a retirement plan right there! 

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: