Saturday, April 17, 2021

It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth, the minor falls, the major lifts, the baffled king composing Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)


Wie geht's?

The first term is over and done - sent into the history books by a spectacular House music competition.

A feature of the day at one of my campuses was a senior choir doing their truncated version of Hallelujah - the Leonard Cohen song from 1984 (the theme for the competition was 'The 1980s').

Now, I'm not a Cohen fan but I do like some cover versions of this song - Jeff Buckley's one is well known, but YouTube is chocka with great versions like thisthis, and this.

They are great versions. It's a great song. But I think it's best done in a choir. This one featuring Rufus Wainwright and 1,500 singers is next level spine tingling!

It's an interesting song and as I listened to my House senior choir practising it over and over again, it started seeping into my brain and wouldn't move during the week. Plus, I found myself puzzling over the lyrics.

It's one of those enigmatic songs that morphs and twists and spins so that it means something different for everyone and, for me, it changed shape on a daily basis.

The House choir version will live long in my memory - there was a live purity in those practices and they saved their best version for the audience of Friday. Hurrah!

Love and peace - WNP

No comments: