Thursday, September 22, 2022

Don't forget to wash your hands before sup-per (Elaine to George)



Wie geht's?

A recent morning conversation at work touched on American vs British humour and our preferences.

First of all - let's agree that there is a distinct difference between them. Oh yes - there is!

Generally speaking, each reflects their distinctive cultures.

Brits are characterised by a certain pessimism and that is strongly reflected in their sense of humor. Satire that considers the absurdity of life, clever puns, and sarcasm rule the roost. 

On the other hand, Americans are more optimistic, and their humor is overt and exaggerated. They don’t value subtlety and wit to the same degree as Brits; being big, bold, and charismatic are more esteemed than cracking clever jokes. Slapstick and physical humour are preferred, as is an observational type of comedy.

Obviously these aren't hard and fast rules. Monty Python is mainly clever clogs absurdist British humour but the big bold physical humour also contributed to their success in America.

When I was growing up in suburban Auckland it was radio funnies by British icons like The Clitheroe Kid, The Goon Show, and Hancock's Half Hour that got me started. 

Then, with one TV channel, it was a steady stream of great comedy shows like Dad's Army, Hogan's Heroes, I Dream Of Jeannie, Green Acres, Steptoe And Son, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Morecombe and Wise, The Carol Burnett Show, The Two Ronnies, The Benny Hill Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, and The Andy Griffith Show.

A quick count reveals 6 British and 6 American shows in that list - an even split! I rest my case, m'lord.

Given that grounding, it's not surprising that my favourite comedy show ever is Seinfeld - ostensibly an American observational kind of show about nothing, which in fact covers everything.

It has it all - slapstick (mostly featuring Kramer and George), clever word play (everyone), sarcasm (mostly from Jerry and Elaine),  absurdist humour (mostly Jerry and George), satire (mostly from Jerry and George) and cracking clever jokes.

Although I have all the DVD sets, I'm currently viewing it again from the beginning on Netflix during Jacky's bath time. She's not a fan. Currently I'm up to Season 5.

Last night's episode (The Sniffing Accountant) had me laughing so much I couldn't open my eyes!! Apart from Elaine's killer sarcastic putdown of George (he's living with his parents) that headlines this post, highlights centre on Kramer doing the drinking while smoking trick and before that getting hit with a folding bar top - kills me every time. I'm laughing days later, just thinking about it!

Love and peace - Wozza
 

No comments: