Monday, February 13, 2012

Ooh baby I love your way (Peter Frampton)


It's Saint Valentine's day. The bouquet on the right is a virtual SVD pressie to SWMBO.

Valentine's day is a weird one. Originally it honoured a couple of Christian martyrs called Valentine but then in the 14th century Geoffrey Chaucer got hold of the idea of celebrating love and honouring Valentine and ever since pink hearts, flowers and chocolates have their way every February 14.

Just in case you know little about Chaucer – here he is being played by the brilliant Paul Bettany in A Knight’s Tale (movie version).



And this is the bit when Chaucer linked St Valentine's day with love/lust:
For this was on seynt Volantynys day
Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese his make.
Incidentally - St Valentine's Day exists here in the Middle East as well. All sorts of stores are selling the usual St Valentine’s Day product but apparently it’s banned in Saudi Arabia (they don’t like its links to the Christian holiday even though it's no longer a holiday in the west - PJ won't be surprised I'm sure).

Anyway, I have become distracted. This post was supposed to be a simple happy Valentine's Day to my habibi!!

Here's something I love as a wee pressie to TLOML - a lyric by John Lennon. It's called Grow Old With Me. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I used it here.
Grow old along with me
The best is yet to be
When our time has come
We will be as one
God bless our love
God bless our love

Grow old along with me
Two branches of one tree
Face the setting sun
When the day is done
God bless our love
God bless our love

Spending our lives together
Man and wife together
World without end
World without end

Grow old along with me
Whatever fate decrees
We will see it through
For our love is true
God bless our love
God bless our love

Love and peace and warm fuzzy cuddles - Wozza

No comments: