Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Normality is the great neurosis of civilization (Tom Robbins)

Photo by Shari Sirotnak on Unsplash
Wie geht's?

Are you looking forward to normality after Level 3 of the Lockdown? Or even (shudder) normalcy?

I like 'normality'. I'm not partial to 'normalcy'.

But, and this is addressed to any of my children who may be reading this, I do acknowledge 'normalcy' is a word. There I said it! Yes, it is a word, albeit an ugly ugly ugly one. 

Why do have this aversion for one and a partiality to the other?

I have a modicum of time on my hands so I will venture to explain myself.

Normality is English. Normalcy is the American version that was first used in 1855 as a mathematics term and then later popularised in 1920 by US President Warren G Harding who used it as a campaign slogan: 'A return to normalcy'. Jeepers.

Ever since then, Americans have latched on to it and now, thanks to Levels 1 to 4 of Lockdown, it's migrated to Nu Zild's news readers. Last night one reporter even threw in a new version: normalicy. Although, to be fair - I have heard the correct word also used from time to time.

I begrudge normalcy, just like I, ironically* begrudge 'program', 'theater', 'labor', 'flavor', and all the rest.

*Ironically, while I was at Royal Oak Primary School my mother was called in to discuss the wayward Americanised spellings in my work - thanks to my reading and assimilating Americanisms from the comics/books I was reading.

Anyway - yes! I'm looking forward to a bit of normality! That's for sure.

Love and peace - WNP

No comments: