Thursday, August 19, 2021

Lost in the moment of what he needs. Are you there, can you hear me, are you there (Edie Brickell)


Wie geht's?

It's been a loooooong week.

Nu Zild went into Level 4 lockdown suddenly on Tuesday night following the reporting of one case of Covid 19 (Delta variant) in the Auckland community.

Level 4 (the highest level) is a big deal - aside from essential workers and workplaces, everyone in Nu Zild stays home. The single case has become 20 with more expected. 

The good news is that they have isolated the source and there was a very narrow window between the contact (which came from NSW in Australia - chur bro!) and the person getting tested. Plus, so far, it's only limited to Auckland.

On Monday, I picked up my new work vehicle - a brand new white Mazda CX5 to replace my old black Mazda CX5.

It's nice to have a new car, don't get me wrong, but I'm not a car guy, so, Jacky, and my work colleagues, were way more excited about it all than I was.

Growing up, dad bought new cars at regular intervals so, luckily, it quickly lost its novelty value for me. Plus, unlike my brother and 90% of other males, I really don't see the fascination of fancy cars, nor do I care how they work. I'd rather not own any and just use public transport (like when we lived in England).

Far simpler. Less is more.

Anxiety and worry are my main feelings around new cars. Driving this one is nice but it's not a comfortable experience yet. I worry about stone chips, other vehicles dinging it in carparks, all sorts of minor concerns, and the new car smell is a constant reminder that I need to nurse it along for a while. 

We owned a new car once and I won't do it again. Not only the instant depreciation but all those small worries about an expensive investment kept me on edge.

At the moment things are fine - I can't drive the new car anywhere!  It's sitting in the driveway - also waiting for Level 4 lockdown to be lifted.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: