Sunday, July 24, 2022

The unexamined life is not worth living (Socrates)



Wie geht's? 

A Near Death Experience (NDE) is bound to have certain affects.

Although I have not had any sensation of being outside of my body, or any visions of angels, or feelings of transcendence, I still feel changed in some sense as a consequence of that serious car accident.

As it happened, after the Tuesday accident I got back into my life quite quickly: Thursday, I went to a scheduled hospital appointment; Friday I returned to work; and Sunday I flew to Brisbane with family for a long planned for reunion in Noosa.

Fearless is a 1993 movie starring Jeff Bridges as a person who survives a plane crash. He develops an extreme preoccupation with a new perspective on life as a result. 

According to the article I read on Wikipedia, this is consistent with certain changes associated with those who have had an NDE, such as  a greater appreciation for life, higher self-esteem, greater compassion for others, less concern for acquiring material wealth, a heightened sense of purpose and self-understanding, desire to learn, elevated spirituality, greater ecological sensitivity and planetary concern, a feeling of being more intuitive.

I can identify with two aspects of these (higher self-esteem and a feeling of being more intuitive) but in my case it feels more like a reiteration and enhancement of my existing perspective on life.

Without being too egotistical about things, I really do appreciate the life I live, and I've never been that concerned with material wealth. At various times, I've written about my sense of purpose and awareness around what motivates me, as well as a continuing desire to learn and challenge myself. 

Weirdly though, in the last three weeks, I have felt higher self-esteem and a new kind of confidence in myself and my special set of skills as a consequence of the NDE (that swerve at the right time). It's difficult to quantify, but it's been a definite feeling.

The other, more tangible thing, is that I am a lot more mindful of my driving now. As a poster I used to have says 'Win The Rat Race - You're Still A Rat!' So passing maneuvers and what the idiots ahead of me and behind me are doing are much more front and centre in my thinking.

Again - a reiteration of Be Here Now, really.


Love and deep peace of the flowing air to you - Wozza

No comments: