Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Hello! How are you? Have you been alright through all those lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely lonely nights? That's what I'd say, I'd tell you everything if you'd pick up that telephone (Electric Light Orchestra)



Wie geht's?

Modern communication technology is great when it works, isn't it. When it doesn't? Moshkala (pronounced moosh/killer). It's Arabic for problem.

Recently, during Cyclone Gabrielle, power, internet and cell phones all went dead for a period of time.

For a while there, I couldn't contact anyone, and no one could contact me.

Power in Takapau came back after a few hours and so did internet and cell phone reception. But elsewhere on the East Coast, in Napier (Napier!!) and Gisborne, there was radio silence for days!

That was super frustrating, as it became extremely difficult to contact my workmates in the worst affected areas. That lead to anxiety about their safety. And so it went on, for days.



(this big gap is me thinking)



I'm sorry, but I don't have a solution for all that because we are so reliant on technology these days. Any ideas?

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: