Sunday, March 5, 2023

I am 'El Rayo' (David Lindley)


Wie geht's?

During the last few years, it's been a rough time for musicians and actors of a certain vintage. 

So far in 2023, some biggies have headed off Planet Earth for further adventures:

  • David Crosby
  • David Lindley
  • Raquel Welch
  • Gina Lollobrigida
  • Robbie Bachman
  • Jeff Beck
  • Fred White
  • Lisa Marie Presley
  • Wayne Shorter
  • Burt Bacharach
  • Tom Verlaine
  • Cindy Williams

This is, of course, all part and parcel of aging. The bands and actors that I grew up listening to and watching are around 10 to 20 years older than me. In other words in their seventies and eighties.

Macca is 81 this year. Ringo will be 83, and Dylan 82. Although immortal as artists, even they can't actually live forever.

Of course, it will still be a shock when they do pass on. They've always been walking the Earth at the same time as me.

I spent the weekend listening to EL-Rayo-X, David Lindley's first solo album. It's a lot of fun.

A memory that I shared with my WTWMC buddies was that I once sold that album to Ian Mune (the great NZ actor/ Director) while working at Marbecks Records in the Queen's Arcade. He came into Marbecks one day in 1981 and was looking for an album he'd heard at a party. When he described the style of music I instantly knew it was Lindley's album. He was impressed!

R.I.P. David Lindley

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: