Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Hope we grow old, but we never grow up (Niall Horan)



Wie geht's?

Had a wee shock this morning when I was called to the phone at school. A guy was on the other end of the phone who said he knew me when we were kids, when I lived in Korma Ave!

Turns out he was right. He (let's call him John) told me that he decided to make contact with me after watching a western on TV - a film that reminded him of a birthday party he attended as a youngster. The birthday was mine. 

As long time readers know, my mother marked our birthdays (Ross and me) by taking us to a movie with some of our friends. His memory was triggered and he remembered me and my mum.

As John was a fellow student at Royal Oak primary, and therefore a friend (basically, at that age, everyone at primary school is your friend), I asked him and couple of others to my party/film event.

I'm not sure which exact birthday it was, but by process of elimination it's either 1966 or 1968 (before '66 and '67 were Disney movies). In 1966 we (mum, Ross and some friends) went to see El Dorado, in '68 it was probably Villa Rides, Bandolero, or The Scalphunters (we saw all three throughout that yesr).

I would plump for 1966 - we were 9 years old, because I am pretty sure the 1968 films were just me, mum and Ross.

The thing that got me was the link back to mum. John distinctly members my mum organizing the birthday party and film treat (more evidence that it was 1966 as I would have outgrown parties as an eleven year old I feel). That's really cool!

And amazing. It was 57 years ago for Pete's sake!

Love and peace - WNP

No comments: