Monday, July 10, 2023

Dream of only me, where I am, what I am, what I believe in (Neil Diamond)

Sisters and brothers-in-law raise a glass
to Pat. 


Wie geht's?

Me? Doing the best I can in New Plymouth.

Sadly, this week marks the passing of my mother-in-law Patricia Mary Smith. She was a feisty 83 years old when she passed away at home on July 9th, 2023.

We are all defined by many things. One is our relationship to other people. Pat was a true people person. 

Among other things...she was a daughter (to James Joseph Bulman and Dorothy May Bulman nee Dooley)

She was a sister (to Marg and Bonny)

She was a former wife (to George Brian Smith)

She was a mother (to Jacky and Michelle)

She was a mother-in-law (to me and Gavin)

She was a grandmother (Nana Pat to Keegan, Adam. Samantha, Jade and to Lee, Kerry)

She was a great-grandmother (to quite a few!)

She was principled, staunch, spirited, cannie, prescient, generous, stubborn, kind-hearted, fierce. 

She was a mainlander, and a battler to the end. 

She was no fool, nor did she suffer them.

I will be forever grateful to her because she brought two wonderful women into the world. 

Her legacy is in them.

Rest in peace, Patricia Mary Smith (nee Bulman) 16 September 1939 - 9 July 2023

Farewell, and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Love and peace - WNP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute to your mothef in law. Big hugs to you all, especially Jackie.

Christine Ryan said...

Arohamai Warren. Condolences to Jacky and you all. A life well lived