Monday, November 20, 2023

As I'm fated for the material world, get frustrated in the material world (George Harrison)

KW's records are pictured in the middle.


Wie geht's?

A recent discussion with Keegan got me thinking again about the lure of material possessions.

Keegan doesn't live an ascetic life but he does aim to limit the amount of material items he accumulates. He's a bit like Jack Reacher in that regard, although he has a bit more than a credit card and a toothbrush.

We all make decisions, justifications, rationalised choices about such matters. His attitude to his records especially interests me.

While he's living offshore, his record collection remains in my possession and although he tells me he is happy to donate them to Adam, he can also tell me where and when he bought each album. So, he's invested, to a point.

This hankering after, and continued possession of items that have a sentimental value is complicated.

I can see what he's after, but I'm much more wedded to my precious possessions because they bring me joy on a daily basis. I'm thinking about items like my father's spoon (which I've written about before) and my records. 

Plus, I've had longer to accumulate them. Therefore, I've lived with them longer. He may feel different when he's older. Part of me hopes so. 

If he does, they are here, waiting for him.

Love and peace - Abu Keegan

No comments: