Wednesday, February 28, 2024

The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl (Dave Berry)

Vinyl is in mt DNA


Wie geht's?

Just lately I've been buying care packages of records every couple of weeks from my regular haunts. The latest this week came from Marbeck's Records.

I mentioned this in the staff room when someone asked what I was looking forward to most this week. "Records from Marbecks", was my instant reply.

"Oh Marbecks", they said. "Why is that a highlight?"

So, I said, "Do you really want to know?"

And they said, "Yeah, it's a slow morning".

So I embarked on an explanation that took in my mother working at Auckland's Lewis Eady's in the record department and having to walk down to the Queen's Arcade where Marbeck's has always been, to see Mr. Marbeck about record orders; my own time working for the Marbecks family with Roger Marbeck in the jazz and pop side, during my university days; my taking my pay in records; our two growing families being close while our kids came along and grew up, and our taking holidays together; to today where I am still happily buying online from the greatest NZ record store. Not much has changed.

For the record (ha ha) the package included some Van Dyke Parks and War albums (a couple from when they'd finished their association with Eric Burdon).

Long live Marbecks Records!

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: