Wednesday, July 22, 2026

I think we are well advised to keep on nodding terms with the people we used to be (Joan Didion)

Photo by Vicky Sim on Unsplash


Wie geht's?

The unexamined life is not worth living, according to Socrates, but the examined life isn't a snap either.

Polonius' advice to his son (Be true to yourself) and the Oracle at Delphi's advice (know thyself) are all well and good but knowing yourself is not a breeze.

As Ryan Holiday says, self-awareness is rare and is a pursuit that takes a lifetime.

From time to time, I attempt to explain who I am in this blog. Here's another chapter in that on-going quest.

Ryan suggests some questions in his book Wisdom Takes Work to help work yourself out.

  • What are your strengths?
  • What are your flaws?
  • What do you like? What do you hate?  
  • What are the patterns you picked up in childhood?
  • How does your mind work? Why does it work that way?
  • Who are you, really?

Now I'm not about to answer all of those now, but I'll have a go at them one at a time.

First up: my strengths.

This is interesting because when I've asked others what they think my strengths are, I get surprising answers. Sometimes things I didn't think were my strong points.

For what it's worth, here are my four cents worth:

  1. I knew what my purpose in life was from an early stage. I was twelve when I focused on teaching as a career. I have never deviated from that idea, even when a series of failures could have derailed me. This could be called stickability or naive and blinkered. Those all describe me.
  2. A clear moral purpose. I learnt early on how right and wrong worked. Sometimes from doing dumb stuff I got to understand what was wrong. My parents were always there as an example of what was right, they still are. I was a lucky boy and they guide me still - what would Graham do? What would Dulcie say?
  3. Emotional intelligence. I remain calm, believe everyone is doing the best they can, and I seek first to understand.
  4. A reader and a listener - that describes me well. I loved reading from an early age. I still have a few books in my possession that were my favourites as a toddler. My early memories are often around mum taking me to buy books in Remuera, visiting the Onehunga library, or charging through the colours of the SSR readers at Royal Oak Primary. That love has stuck with me - I am always reading at least one book - most often two. Those quiet times reading probably helped me to become a better listener. It's a key skill and I practise it as much as I can.

Next time - my flaws. I'll aim to keep it down to a top 100.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: