Thursday, August 27, 2009

Love actually is all around.

This is a tough post to write. I knew at the back of my head that, once I started this blog last year to update my life for family and friends, some bad things could happen that I would need to react to and maybe tell you about.

Up to now I've filtered out some personal things - obviously. You don't want to read about the deeply personal stuff and I don't want that stuff out there on the interweb anyway. Some things need to remain in the vault don't they. But I do need to communicate the following.

Two weeks ago I got a call from my sister-in-law that has had, and will have massive repercussions. She told me that my father had had a massive stroke and wasn't looking good. That sentence is still echoing in my ears as I write. Dad is a very private man who will hate this information getting out but I can't keep on writing a blog pretending it hasn't happened. My mood would reveal instantly that something wasn't right and I feel better getting this stuff off my chest. As my mother used to say, 'A problem shared is a problem halved'. So, dad, please forgive me when you eventually get round to reconnecting to the blog.

There is some general good news and general bad news surrounding this. The stroke was on the right side of the brain - therefore his left side (arm, leg) is affected, but he can talk, listen and swallow (those things are controlled by the left side of our brains). He is in a great place to make improvements, even though he doesn't agree. I've been really impressed by the staff at North Shore Hospital - both in terms of their care for dad and in their communications with me. He will be in ward 15 at the hospital for the foreseeable future, getting physiotherapy and care from some dedicated professionals.

I'll get back to updates on the lambs and the flotsam and jetsam of our lives for the next post - somehow none of that seems that important right now.

Love and peace actually - W

No comments: